Sunday, January 23, 2005

To Priscilla, and anyone else who's flagging!

Priscilla, I hope you'll reconsider and hang in there with us and Don Quixote. I was really encouraged by your enthusiasm back when we started talking about this, and I hope that I can in some small way encourage you to not give up.

Ok, I'll just be up front and admit that I'm within 100 pages of finishing this thing. I really hope to be done Monday! But I don't want anyone to feel like they're "not keeping up" with me, or that they should quit because they've barely started and I'm almost done.

I set myself the goal of getting through this book in January because I had already attempted it once, over the summer, and my enthusiasm waned after a few chapters. I knew that if I was going to make it through this time, it'd have to be with a concerted, focused energy. (And a more readable translation.) That doesn't mean that everyone needs to read it at this pace! I would suggest, though, setting a per-day goal, be it 10 pages or one chapter or 20 minutes. Consistency really does pay off.

I plan to start with the second book on the TWEM list, The Pilgrim's Progress, in February but I expect the Don Quixote discussion to be going on here for many more months. We'll never all be at the same place in our reading because we all have different goals and life situations.

But we all seem to want to broaden our horizons by reading the classics, right? I think this is a worthwhile goal, and not incompatible with our busy lives. At least that's what I'm hoping.

I'm going to sign off now and read some more DQ. How's everyone else doing out there?


P.S. The children's version that I referred to in the post below this one arrived and it looks wonderful. My only regret is that it only covers the first half of the book, the original first book. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to say that it would be an acceptable stand-in for the real thing, if a person just wanted to familiarize themself with the story and the themes...

2 Comments:

Blogger Isabella said...

I'm no longer within 100 pages of the beginning! I promise to say something very soon...

6:09 PM  
Blogger Zee said...

I can say the same thing as Isabella, but I'm enjoying the read, however long it takes me. :o)

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home