Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Thoroghly enjoying a second beginning; )

Hurrayyy! I've made it to the party! Sorry it took so long for me to arrive--sick kids over the weekend, but things are back on track. I'm thrilled to be a part of this group. This is my second time beginning DQ--I was 18 chapters into Rutherford's translation, put it down indefinitely (months ago), and decided to start over after hearing much about Grossman's translation and reading her "notes to the reader" in the bookstore. I've given a sneek peek at the first chapter and can tell within the first few sentences that her version is truly more engaging than Rutherford's.

I am close to finishing Bloom's introduction. Diane, I too wonder if he is insane. Afterall, Bloom does say that DQ's "madness is deliberate, self-inflicted" and, basically, that he wills his fiction into reality. It'll be interesting to see how others are brought into his reality.

Regarding how strictly I'm following Baur's book, for now, I'm a purist. I am not usually, but for things that are new to me and I care enough to want to succeed. While I've read classical literature in my life, most of it was required! I think it is fair to say that serious reading is new to me. TWEM has a good formula for someone in my shoes (that's me; ), so I'm sticking to it. I have even purchased vocab books and am enjoying those from the Classical Roots series. Crazy, no? A bit quixotic--je je.

Priscilla

2 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

My book finally arrived yesterday, but I wasn't home to receive it so I'll be picking it up at the post office today. I did start reading the book online, but it's really not the way I prefer to read. Looking forward to actually contributing to the discussion in the next few days!

1:01 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

My book just arrived this afternoon! I've read the notes to readers, and tonight hope to read Bloom's intro. I'm so excited to get started. I need to get a journal to keep my notes in. I came across a couple of things I'd like to write down, but nothing to write them in. I also need to go back and read again the pertinent parts of TWEM. I can't remember the last time I found the time to read such a lengthy book. It feels good to be stretching the mind again.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home